Do you have a feeling of discomfort or scratchiness? or does it pain hard when you try to swallow?
If “YES” then its nothing but a sore throat you are suffering from. Sore throat is a very common problem.
Sore throat mainly occurs for two reasons:
1. viral infection
2. bacterial infection
Now, If we further discuss both individually then, sore throat through viral infection comes along with flu, fever or running nose. In this case antibiotics does not respond and it gets disappear on its own or a person can also take some natural remedies, which responds within few hours or may take a night, these remedies will be discussed later in this article.
Talking about bacterial infection, it mainly occurs from streptococcal bacteria, the symptoms are much alike that of viral infection and in addition a person can also feel headache, swollen glands etc but the treatment is different as sore throat through bacterial infection lasts longer and is severe. It has to be treated through antibiotics. And if it persists after a course of medicine then you need to consult a doctor.
Here are Some facts about Sore throat:
- Nearly 70% of sore throat occurs due to viral infection and disappear on its own.
- It also occurs by breathing dry and cold air through the mouth.
- Antibiotics will make sterp throat better is true. But if your immune system is strong you then you don’t even need to take antibiotics.
Sore throat does not cause snoring problem but snoring can cause sore throat.
Symptoms of sore throat:
- pain in throat, which in rare cases can spread upto the ears.
- headache may occur
- swollen tonsils
- pain while swallowing
- joint pain in some cases
- difficulty in opening the mouth
- tiny blisters may develop om the tonsils
- blood in saliva (very rare)
- mild fever
- bad breath
- running nose
Some common causes of sore throat:
- Bacterial Infection- Streptococcal bacteria is the most common cause for sore throat. Infection through bacteria can cause fever which in more severe cases leads to heart valve problems or inflammation of the Kidneys.
- Virus Infection- There are several viruses which can cause sore throast the most common being “Epstein-Barr” and “mononucleosis” viruses.
- Inhaling cold and dry air through mouth. Many a times while sleeping, unknowingly we left our mouth open, which causes air to enter through our mouth and throat becomes dry.
- infection of tonsils
- Arcanobacterium haemolyticum- Another bacteria which causes sore throat but mainly in adults.
- Allergies- allergies can cause mild throat irritation which is not painful
- Sinus- drainage during sinus is also one of the rars causes of sore throat.
- vomiting- After vomiting also you can get a sore throat.
Some home remedies for sore throat:
- Put 1 tablespoon in glass of lukewarm water and do gargle, at least 4-5 times a day.
- You can also have 1 spoon of honey mix with ginger juice. but it should be taken once a day because its very strong.
- Instead of water you can do the gargling with betadine or even vodka. they are best in killing bacteria.
- Hot lemonade mix with honey relieves the pain quickly